Knowing God – The Trilogy
Some people think the Old Testament has nothing to say about God as our Father, or about the Holy Spirit, whilst others try to find Jesus somewhere on every page of the Old Testament. Chris Wright brings a much-needed corrective to these misconceptions in his masterful three-in-one volume, Knowing God – The Trilogy. After exploring the identity and mission of Jesus in the light of the Scriptures he knew so well – our Old Testament, the book goes on to see how God reveals himself as Father in the same Scriptures, and works powerfully through his Spirit. Wright’s thoughtful and engaging exposition of multiple biblical texts invites us to encounter the Trinity not just as a doctrine we affirm but as persons we can know.
All serious Christians are agreed that we need to know the teaching of the Old Testament if we are to have good grasp of the message of the Bible. Chris Wright is a wonderful guide in this journey of discovery because he is a top-notch scholar who has a unique ability to share his knowledge of the Old Testament in ways that non-specialists find interesting and understandable.
Youth for Christ Sri Lanka
Chris Wright brings together a scholar’s wisdom and a missionary’s passion in his life and these twin gifts are writ large on every page. My thinking and practice as a Christian have been indelibly shaped by Chris’s writings and so I am very excited to see his important works brought together in this new volume.
Krish Kandiah, PhD
Author and Founding Director,
Home for Good
Chris Wright’s accessible and inspirational three books on knowing God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit from the pages of the Old Testament are now available in a single volume. Brilliant! Now pastors, teachers and laity alike will have a ready-at-hand resource to understand the Trinity from an Old Testament perspective.
Lynn Cohick, PhD
Professor of New Testament,
Many of us think the most enduring and authoritative approach to theology is to do biblical theology. That is, to let the Bible speak in its context and in its developing narrative, and very few have done this more insightfully and faithfully than Chris Wright. Knowing God brings together the best of Chris Wright on the Father, the Son, and the Spirit and is eminently accessible for illustrating how to do biblical theology.
Rev Scot McKnight, PhD
Julius R. Mantey Professor of New Testament,
Table of Contents
- Preface to the Trilogy
- Book 1 Knowing Jesus through the Old Testament
- Preface (original edition)
- 1 - Jesus and the Old Testament Story
- 2 - Jesus and the Old Testament Promise
- 3 - Jesus and His Old Testament Identity
- 4 - Jesus and His Old Testament Mission
- 5 - Jesus and His Old Testament Values
- 6 - Jesus and His Old Testament God
- 1 - Knowing God as a Father in Action
- 2 - Knowing God through Experience of His Grace
- 3 - Knowing God through Exposure to His Judgement
- 4 - Knowing God as the Father of His People
- 5 - Knowing God through Engaging Him in Prayer
- 6 - Knowing God through Reflecting His Justice
- 7 - Knowing God through Returning to His Love
- 8 - Knowing God in Expectation of His Victory
- 9 - Knowing God through Trusting in His Sovereignty
- 1 - The Creating Spirit
- 2 - The Empowering Spirit
- 3 - The Prophetic Spirit
- 4 - The Anointing Spirit
- 5 - The Coming Spirit
- Book 1 Scripture Index
- Book 2 Scripture Index
- Book 3 Scripture Index