The Spirit over the Earth
Though the global center of Christianity has been shifting south and east over the past few decades, very few theological resources have dealt with the seismic changes afoot. The Majority World Theology series seeks to remedy that lack by gathering well-regarded Christian thinkers from around the world to discuss the significance of Christian teaching in their respective contexts.
The contributors to this volume reflect deeply on the role of the Holy Spirit in both the church and the world in dialogue with their respective contexts and cultures. Taking African, Asian, and Latin American cultural contexts into account gives rise to fresh questions and insights regarding the Spirit's work as witnessed in the world and demonstrates how the theological heritage of the West is not adequate alone to address the theological necessities of communities worldwide.
This book discusses a foundational subject—the role of the Holy Spirit in the work and witness of the global church. It is appropriate that the coming of world Christianity should move discussion of the Holy Spirit to front and center for communities of faith across the world. The authors are to be congratulated for bringing to our attention the diverse and lively ways in which we see the Spirit’s manifestation in our midst today.
Yale Divinity School
Table of Contents
- Introduction: The Spirit over the Earth: Pneumatology in the Majority World
- Gene L. Green
- 1. I Believe in the Holy Spirit: From the Ends of the Earth to the Ends of Time
- Amos Yong
- 2. The Spirit Blows Where It Wills: The Holy Spirit’s Personhood in Indian Christian Thought
- Ivan Satyavrata
- 3. Redefining Relationships: The Role of the Spirit in Romans and Its Signifi cance in a Multiethnic Context of India
- Zakali Shohe
- 4. Pauline Pneumatology and the Chinese Rites: Spirit and Culture in the Holy See’s Missionary Strategy
- Wei Hua
- 5. Pneumatology: Its Implications for the African Context
- Samuel M. Ngewa
- 6. Who Is the Holy Spirit in Contemporary African Christianity?
- David Tonghou Ngong
- 7. In Search of Indigenous Pneumatologies in the Americas
- Oscar García-Johnson
- 8. The Holy Spirit: Power for Life and Hope
- C. René Padilla
- Index of names
- Index of subjects
- Index of scripture references