|Imprint:||Langham Global Library|
|Dimensions (mm):||229 x 152 x 10|
Secular, Sacred, More Sacred
Four Calls to Bridge the Divide
The sacred-secular divide continues to threaten the health of the global church, disempowering lay Christians and undermining the call to integrate all aspects of life under the lordship of Christ. Theological educators seeking a path out of this dichotomy will find themselves both challenged and encouraged by this collection of essays drawn from the 2018 ICETE conference in Panama City. Within its four sections, contributors explore biblical frameworks for integration, urge seminaries to value identity formation as much as skill acquirement, call for a robust theology of work, and challenge theologians to consider their responsibility to the world beyond the church’s borders. Filled with thought-provoking questions and practical suggestions, this book is an excellent resource for all those pursuing a holistic approach to theological education.
I am delighted that the fruit of the ICETE 2018 Triennial Conference in Panama City is now documented and accessible. If the divide between the secular and the sacred is to be overcome, it must begin with the education of the next generation of leaders. This book shows ways forward.
Bernhard Ott, PhD
Chairman of the European Council for Theological Education
This book provides thought-provoking biblical foundations, encouraging practical examples and appealing insights for action. It brings the conversation further on the strategic roles of seminaries in advancing Lausanne’s biblical vision to bring the whole gospel to the whole world, by the whole church.
Sutrisna Harjanto, PhD
Principal, Bandung Theological Seminary, Indonesia
This book is a lens that gives a new perspective to God’s people, in whatever vocation they are in, to see their job as a God-given calling to partake in the expansion of his kingdom throughout the world. It shouts loud and clear that God has called us to be salt and light both in the church and in the marketplace.
Frew Tamrat, PhD
Principal, Evangelical Theological College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Table of Contents
- Section 1: A Call to Integration
- Integrating Truths: Psalm 86 Christopher J. H. Wright
- Insights from Proverbs on the Sacred-Secular Divide Shirley S. Ho
- Section 2: A Call for Virtue
- Insights from Proverbs Applied in Theological Education Lily K. Chua
- Bridging the Sacred-Secular Divide through Character and Virtue Education Marvin Oxenham
- Pastoral Identity Formation within Theological Education Marilyn Naidoo
- Section 3: A Call to the Church
- Theology of Work and the Mustard Seed Foundation Fletcher L. Tink and Oladotun Reju
- The Sacred-Secular Divide and the Mission of God Mark Greene and Ian Shaw
- Section 4: A Call from across the Divide
- Where Are the Theologians? A Call from across the Scholarly Divide Terence Halliday
- Postscript: ICETE 2018 and Then COVID-19