|Imprint:||Langham Global Library|
|Dimensions (mm):||229 x 152 x 17|
|Series:||Global Perspectives Series|
African Christian Leadership
Realities, Opportunities, and Impact
Do you wish you had a better understanding of the issues and questions African Christians face as they seek to live out their faith in their cultural context? Do you wonder how Africans themselves frame these questions and their answers? Would you like access to actual research that can confirm your own experience or bring new information to your attention that would deepen and broaden your understanding?
This unique book, the product of a multiyear study and survey sponsored by the Tyndale House Foundation, offers insights into all these questions and more. Featuring input from over 8,000 African survey participants and 57 in-depth interviews, it provides invaluable insight and concise analysis of the dynamics of the development of African Christian leaders today.
For more information about the study project visit www.africaleadershipstudy.org.
Illuminating and stimulating, this book helps us to understand why and how effective African Christian organizations and their leaders make a significant impact in their local context. It also challenges us to think strategically how best to invest in effective leadership in Africa.
—Daniel Bourdanné, Secretary General, International Fellowship of Evangelical Students
This fine book takes into account three major linguistic groups in Africa, and provides a qualitative perspective with good statistics to guide any Christian leader searching for better leadership or undertaking research in the domain.
—Joanna Ilboudo, Executive Secretary, Pan African Christian Women Alliance
In an age when African Christian growth is obvious but detailed insights into that growth are too rare, these essays disclose aspects of the processes forming effective African Christian leaders and the important roles such leaders can play.
—Paul V. Kollman, CSC, President, American Society of Missiology
The vast amounts of data undergirding this book yield tools of assessment and application for pastors, donors, universities, and governments.
— Miriam Adeney, author, Kingdom Without Borders: The Untold Story of Global Christianity
Table of Contents
- 1. The Genesis and Growth of the Africa Christian Leadership Study
Robert J. Priest
- 2. Characteristics of Influential African Christian Leaders
David K. Ngaruiya
- 3. Formation of African Christian Leaders: Patterns from the ALS Data
Wanjiru M. Gitau
- 4. Connected—The Role of Social Capital for Leaders with Impact
Steven D. H. Rasmussen
- 5. Leadership Responses during Armed Conflict
Elisabet le Roux and Yolande Sandoua
- 6. Word and Deed—Patterns of Influential African Christian Organizations
- 7. African Christian Organizations and Socioeconomic Development
- 8. African Women’s Leadership—Realities and Opportunities
Truphosa Kwaka-Sumba and Elisabet le Roux
- 9. Empowering Leadership—A New Dawn in African Christian Leadership
H. Jurgens Hendriks
- 10. Reading and Leading—Challenges for African Christian Leaders
Robert J. Priest, Kirimi Barine, and Alberto Lucamba Salombongo
- 11. Developing Transformational Leaders—Curricula Implications from the Africa Leadership Study
- 12. Engaging Africa—The Tyndale House Foundation’s Story
Mary Kleine Yehling
- Conclusion: Lessons Learned through the Africa Leadership Study
- Appendix A: ALS Purpose Statements
- Appendix B: ALS Survey Results
- Appendix C: Africa Leadership Study: A Seedbed Resource: Website and Forum